About Coach Adkins
Degrees and Certifications:
Bachelor's K-6 Phys. Ed. Endorsement K-12 Working on: Master's English as a Second Language
Mr. Jacob Adkins
Hello! I have served as a teacher at South Central for going on 7 years now, spending the first three years in 4th grade, and the next three as the 5th/6th ELA teacher, and am currently teaching 5th/6th math! I graduated ETSU in 2015 with a Bachelor's Degree in Interdisciplinary Studies K-6 Education, recieved an endorsement in Physical Education K-12 from Tusculum in 2019, and am working towards a Master's Degree in English as a Second Language (ESL) from Tennessee-Martin. In addition to my teaching, I am also an assistant baseball coach at David Crockett. I am married to my beautiful wife Brittany, who serves as a teacher at Lamar, and have a daughter named Ellen who was born in 2019 and have a son on the way this Fall!
When I am not in the classroom or on a ballfield, I enjoy life on the farm- we raise beef cattle, egg-laying hens, honey bees, about every fruit and veggie you can imagine, and hay and alfalfa. I love to read, follow my favorite sports teams, and a good cup of coffee.
2020-2021 Classroom Supplies List
- TWO marble composition notebooks (One for daily spiral review, one for notes)
- ONE folder (a place for goal setting)
- ONE set headphone/earphone (to listen to video without bothering others, no matter the setting)
- LOOSE LEAF PAPER- regular AND graph
- NON-DISTRACTING PENCIL CONTAINER (the fuzzy bears and Fortninte cases are cool, but they quickly turn into toys)
If you are able, we cannot have enough cleaning supplies for our classroom- Lysol wipes, hand sanitizer, etc.
Students and families, I often get questions about what students should bring to class, and what is expected of students in my class. Here is a quick overview:
What should I have with me everyday?
- Chromebook (with plenty of juice!)
- Chromebook Charger
- Math textbook
- Math composition notebook (it CANNOT be share between classes)
- Pencil(s)- we can't do math with pens
- Paper- regular and graphing
- 3-ring binder for homework, notes home, etc.
You may bring bottled water into class in a non-glass container with a lid.
No other food or drink is allowed in class without a note giving direct permission to do so.
Rules and expectation
- Show up ready to do your best
- Don't get in the way of allowing your teachers and peers to do their best
Thats it. Do your job and allow everyone else to do theirs, and we will get along just fine.
Homework and grades
I want you to succeed, and will give you ample opportunites to do so.
Class work: Pretty much any grade <70 students may correct their work or be given a similar assignment to replace the low grade.
Tests and quizzes are generally exempt from the <70 rule, but every effort will be made to make sure your student is successful
Extra credit: I do not give extra credit. You will have ample opportunities to bring your grade up with class work.
How do I know what my grade is (or my child's grade)
Contact the office and they can get you set up with a Powerschool account where you can see your grade in real-time.
How do I get in contact with Coach Adkins?
- Class Dojo
- We can set up an appointment to meet during my planning period.