1-2-3 Fluency Rubric
Number 1 - We have just begun.
Number 2 - We have more to do.
Number 3 - Where we want to be!
Tips for using the Fluency rubric:
Offer students sample, kind phrases, using wording from rubric.
“ You were a 3 for accuracy, because you read most words correctly.”
“ You were a 2 for accuracy, because you missed several words.”
“You were a 1 for accuracy, because you missed many words.”
Five for Fluency
(Practice makes permanent!)
- Teacher/adult reads the text out loud.
- Choral read-all read out loud together, like a choir.
- Partner reading-students take turns reading the same page or paragraph to each other, then offer feedback using the rubric.
- When the passage or book is finished, students read the entire text to themselves, silently or at a whisper.
- Each student takes turns reading out loud to the group.
Tips: Teacher/adult can offer support by modeling fluency in the first reading, listening to partners, giving guidance during feedback, and reading words that are too difficult.